Expo 2020 Dubai has reaffirmed its dedication to gender equality and women’s empowerment, unveiling creative information and programming for the Women’s Pavilion in collaboration with Cartier that will celebrate ladies change-makers all over the globe.
Having place in Dubai from 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022 – the first Globe Expo to be held in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia (MEASA) area – Expo 2020 Dubai is the initially World Expo considering the fact that the 1900s to have a stand-by itself pavilion focused to females. Expo 2020’s aim on women’s empowerment and gender equality builds on the case in point of the UAE, recognising the significant roles ladies engage in and the contributions made from all associates of society.
Driven by a common conviction that the world wide Sustainable Advancement Aims (SDGs) and aspirations for a peaceful and prosperous world cannot be accomplished without the need of gender equality and women’s empowerment, Expo 2020 and Cartier will arrive together to remind the globe that total and equivalent participation of ladies in all fields is important to making a extra equitable and just globe.
Less than the exhibition titled “New Perspectives”, the Women’s Pavilion will invite site visitors to recognise the central part that ladies, regarded and mysterious, have performed in the course of heritage, major up to the existing.
Celebrating the significant – and often overlooked – contributions of gals, the pavilion will show an vital theory: when gals prosper, all of humanity thrives. It will highlight crucial contributions women have built in advancing societies, as well as the problems females still facial area, specifically as the planet navigates by way of the COVID-19 pandemic and performs towards a a lot more sustainable potential.
Breaking stereotypes and deconstructing misconceptions on women’s roles, the pavilion will increase consciousness by showcasing both equally woman and male contributors to women’s empowerment and gender equality, inspiring people of all ages to develop into improve-makers within their personal communities and over and above.
Her Excellency Reem Al Hashimy, UAE Minister of State for Global Cooperation and Director Common, Expo 2020 Dubai, said: “The global local community has made development in gender equality and women’s empowerment, but considerably extra needs to be carried out. By welcoming site visitors from throughout the planet and from just about every stroll of existence, Expo 2020 Dubai is a one of a kind, potent system that will drive the important awareness to this problem.
“Gender equality and women’s empowerment (GEWE) has been a central basic principle of the UAE since its inception 50 decades back as evidenced in initiatives by terrific feminine leaders these kinds of as Her Highness Sheikha Fatima bint Mubarak and Her Highness Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum. We in the UAE have practiced empowering ladies as integral to national improvement, and so it has demonstrated in fifty percent a century of unparalleled advancement. The pace of our progress is only heading to quicken with what we purpose to achieve in the upcoming 50 many years. Until we location gender equality and women’s empowerment centre phase, we will not progress at the rate we want to.”
The Women’s Pavilion functions five structures with unique narratives positioned on the floor ground:
- Introduction – expressing the reason of the pavilion
- Achievements – shining a light on women’s impact on the world
- Problems – acknowledging what is keeping females back
- Methods – highlighting the initiatives enabling girls to thrive so humanity can prosper
- and Partaking with readers – encouraging site visitors to turn into champions of gender equality and women’s empowerment and take the journey ahead.
Cyrille Vigneron, President and CEO of Cartier Worldwide said: “At Cartier, we believe that that empowering women of all ages has a multiplier influence: it aids drive financial development and enhancement, and gains societies and humanity at massive. As gender inequality persists and carries on to influence women’s lives, it is at any time more crucial to exhibit unity and togetherness in advertising gals empowerment. We are honoured to choose our long-standing assist to women alter-makers more by collaborating with Expo 2020 Dubai and current the Women’s Pavilion to a genuinely world viewers. More than at any time, we remain committed to sharing our eyesight of a upcoming where by all gals are empowered to get to their complete possible and of a much more inclusive modern society for generations to arrive.”
The United Nations Underneath-Secretary-Typical and Executive Director of UN Ladies, Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka – defender of and campaigner for women’s legal rights, women’s empowerment and gender equality – is renewing her endorsement of the Women’s Pavilion.
Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka said: “I applaud the UAE for dedicating a area for the thousands and thousands of people to Expo 2020 Dubai to master about the vital roles that females play, from communities to the environment phase, though recognising the worries they nevertheless facial area every day.
“These issues simply cannot be solved by governments by yourself, but through meaningful and substantive collaborations with the non-public sector, civil societies and committed individuals. The Women’s Pavilion, in collaboration with Cartier, is environment a desired normal for corporations to rethink their approach to gender advocacy – and is a strong system to cascade the gender equality concept to the entire world.”
Expo 2020’s standing as the world’s most impactful worldwide incubator for new concepts is complemented by Cartier’s toughness in fostering imaginative dialogue and supporting inventive expression, with the Women’s Pavilion obtaining collected a assorted community of creators and artists to lead both of those to its design and style and curation:
- Impressed by references from Cartier’s imaginative heritage, French architect Laura Gonzalez reimagines the higher section of the pavilion’s façade, with each other with Dubai born artist Kholoud Sharafi and French gentle designer Pauline David
- Worldwide multidisciplinary artist El Seed, who was born in France to Tunisian mother and father, has delved into his heritage and discovered to study and write standard Arabic. Working with Arabic calligraphy to unfold messages of peace, unity and to underline the commonalities of human existence, his one of a kind artwork transforms the lower component of the pavilion’s façade
- Lebanese actress and the first female Arab director to be nominated for an Oscar in the classification of Very best Foreign Language Film for the powerful Capernaum, Nadine Labaki is identified for demonstrating day-to-day factors of Lebanese life and masking difficulties such as war, poverty, and feminism. Nadine will immediate the Women’s Pavilion’s introduction movie, highlighting the brand’s manifesto “when ladies thrive, humanity thrives”
- French actress, screenwriter and director Mélanie Laurent takes above the second ground of the pavilion to curate an immersive exhibition fostering dialogues throughout cultural, inventive, and social fields in a few sections. The 1st segment highlights the common link in between women and their ecosystems through a sculpture and a series of special photos shot and picked by Mélanie. The second segment invites readers to explore a Digital Reality film, showcasing tales of females from all more than the planet, regarded and mysterious, as they navigate as a result of their ordeals. The 3rd and last portion brings an special audio-visual artwork piece to everyday living reflecting women’s voices across the globe.
The pavilion will element a Majlis, a lively and inclusive space for anyone – such as artists, experts, thought leaders, politicians, business owners and small business leaders – to engage in constructive and remedy-oriented discussions on women’s empowerment.
Throughout the six months of Expo, the Women’s Pavilion will host an array of functions, programming and meaningful dialogues that will not only increase know-how and comprehending of gender equality and women’s empowerment, but also push tangible, collaborative action that can be shared with the world.
These include a Women’s World Majlis to tackle the position of ladies in creating a cleaner, safer, more healthy environment, and the ‘Women in Arabia and Islam’ series, highlighting real-lifestyle tales of females who have led the way throughout history, inspiring other women from throughout the globe to access new heights. Expo 2020 and Cartier will also rejoice International Women’s Working day on 8 March 2022 by web hosting a global discussion board under the theme of “Creating New Perspectives”.
As it celebrates women driving adjust from each individual walk of daily life, the pavilion supports Expo 2020’s mission to provide genuine-lifestyle alternatives to real-lifetime problems. Expo 2020 will operate from 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022, inviting guests from all around the globe to sign up for the creating of a new planet, experiencing a 6-thirty day period celebration of human creativity, innovation, progress and lifestyle.